Melted Crayon Heart Valentines

Still need a Valentine idea for your class this year?  Here is what I am doing for my kiddos. 

I'm sure you've seen these around.  I got the idea from Pinterest a couple of years back.  In the past I've simply put them in a cellophane bag; however this year, I wanted to do something different.  So, I whipped up these cards.  The crayon heart attaches to them with a few dots of hot glue.

Here are the instructions to make these:
1.  Gather all the broken and old crayons from your class.  For me, this is simple because at the beginning of each new year I swap out my students old crayons for a brand new box, then I set the old broken crayons aside for this Valentines Day project.

2.  Peel off the paper.  This is the tedious part.  Grab a beverage and something good on T.V. and peel away.  Some wrappers come off easily and some don't.  I have found that what works best for me is to use a small utility knife and cut a slit down the length of each crayon.  The wrapper will peel right off.



3.  Put crayons into a silicone mold.  These are pretty easy to find this time of year with the seasonal baking supplies.


4.  Heat oven to 200 - 250 degrees.  Place silicone mold onto a cookie sheet and place in oven.  Heat until melted, about 15 min.

5.  Be careful taking out of oven.  Try not to mix up the colors.  You want to be able to see each individual color.  (Unless, of course, a more solid color is the effect you're going for.)  Let cool.  Hint:  Once the was has solidified enough for me to move it, I place the mold in the freezer to cool it quicker.

6.  Carefully pop out the heart-shaped crayons and attached to a card front using a few drops of hot glue or strong double-sided tape.

How to prepare cards:
1.  You can purchase my cards here.
Valentine Cards for Melted Crayon Hearts

2.  You can either print out color copies onto white card stock, or use the blackline masters to print onto colored card stock.  Your choice!


3.  Cut out cards.  There are four cards on each sheet.


Enjoy!  I hope this helps someone else out there with putting together a last-minute fun idea for your classroom Valentines.

No comments:

Post a Comment